Save The General R Dudley Blake Lifeboat
Help us to preserve an important piece of Blackrock History
The first lifeboat station in Dundalk Bay was established in 1859 following the loss of the Mary Stoddart in 1858. The Life Boathouse was erected by Lord Clermont and from 1859 to 1935 it had four lifeboats with the last two both being named the General R. Dudley Blake. The service was called out fourty times and saved eighty four lives.
This boat has had an amazing journey through history and is now located near Hook Head lighthouse in Wexford where it currently rests. Ownership of the boat has been passed to the Blackrock Tourism and Development Group who are now Crowdfunding to bring the boat back home to its resting place in Blackrock Village. We have secured a location to store the boat while a restoration programme is undertaken – but we need your help to bring it home.
Please donate to the Dudley Blake Crowdfunding Campaign below to cover the costs of :-
- Securing the boat ready for transport
- Transporting the boat from Wexford to Dundalk
- Insurance for transport